What Rivotril is and what it is used for
Rivotril (popularly known as clonazepam) is a medication that is usually recommended to people suffering from epilepsy or other similar seizure disorder. It belongs to the class of benzodiazepines. This medicine is used to treat epilepsy in infants, children, and adults as well. It works to lessen the number of seizures that a person has. Also, any fit existing in a person will become less harmful after using this medication.
How Does Rivotril Work?
Rivotril works by raising the action of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). This is a sort of chemical in the human body that sends signals throughout the nervous system. When this chemical lacks in the body, a person enters in an excited state that makes him or her have panic attacks or seizures. After taking this drug, the production of GABA is increased in the body and thus preventing these adverse effects.
How to Take Rivotril?
Always take Rivotril as per your doctor’s prescriptions. Ask your doctor in case of any confusion. Usually, the doctor starts with a low dose of Rivotril and starts increasing dosage gradually after two to four weeks till an accurate dosage suiting best to your body is revealed. In most cases, a doctor recommends a patient to split his or her daily dose into three equal amounts to be taken evenly throughout the entire day. When it is not possible to split the daily dosage to split evenly, one should take the largest dosage at bedtime. Once the right dose for your body is found, the doctor will tell you to take a single dose in the evening.
Why Use Rivotril?
Rivotril is commonly used for treating anxiety disorder and Epilepsy or Seizures.
Rivotril Dosage & Effects
Adults and children over 12 years
The initial dosage is usually 1 mg a day or less. The dosage is increased gradually by the doctor till around 4 mg to 8 mg per day. The maximum dosage for this medication is 20 mg per day.
The usual initial dose is around 0.5 mg per day or less. It is increased gradually and the maximum dosage can go to 20 mg per day.
Infants (aged 0 to 1 year)
The common initial dosage is around 0.25 mg per day or less. It can be increased gradually thereafter usually between 0.5 mg and 1mg per day.
Small children (aged 1 to 5 years)
The common initial dosage is 0.25 mg per day or less. It is slowly increased commonly between 1 mg and 3 mg per day.
Older children (aged 5 to 12 years)
The common initial dosage for older children is 0.5 mg per day or less. It can be increased slowly commonly to between 3 mg and 6 mg per day.
Effects of Over Dosage of Rivotril
When you take Rivotril dosage more than the ideal one, you should immediately talk to the doctor or go to the hospital straightaway. You should take a medicine pack along with you. When you take more tablets, you can feel sleepy, lethargic, light-headed, lack proper coordination, and unresponsiveness.
Common Side Effects of Rivotril
You can find some side effects for Rivotril as in other medicines. Though, the side effects are not the same for every person. Few important side-effects of taking this medicine are as follows-
When you get allergic reactions, you should see the doctor immediately. Some signs of allergic reactions are as follows-
- Abrupt swelling of the throat, face, lips, and mouth. It may even cause difficulty breathing or swallowing.
- Abrupt swelling of the hands, feet, and ankles.
- Skin rash or itching.
Effects on the heart
If you find any of the following effects in your body, you should visit the doctor immediately-
Some signs are as follows-
- Breathlessness, swelling of the ankles, cough, tiredness, and a racing heart.
- Chest pain that can reach your neck and shoulders and down your left arm.
Effects on behavior
When you find any of the following changes in your behavior, you should talk to your doctor as they may want you to stop this medication. Some signs are as follows-
- Being aggressive, excited, irritable, nervous, agitated, hostile, and anxious.
- Difficulty in sleeping, nightmares, and vivid dreams.
- Mental problems such as hallucinations, delusions (believing in unreal things), and problems with your speech.
- Types of fits (seizures) that you earlier had.
Infants and children
- When an infant or small child is taking Rivotril, there is a need to watch them carefully. It is because they can develop some breathing problems, coughing, or choking. It can result in too much saliva made in their mouth.
- There is puberty at an early age in children. However, this reversible after stopping this medication.
Other Side Effects
After taking Rivotril, you can find the following side effects-
- Feeling lethargic and exhausted.
- Faintness and light-headedness.
- Weakness in muscles or jerky movements
- Unsteadiness while walking.
When you notice any of these effects, you should immediately talk to your doctor. Your doctor can help you by reducing your dosage for Rivotril and then increasing it gradually.
Your doctor may be able to help you by giving you a lower dose of Rivotril and then increasing it slowly.
The following may occur at any time during your treatment
The below-mentioned side effects might happen suddenly during your treatment.
- Mind and nervous system
- Central nervous system.
- Lack of concentration, ambiguity, loneliness.
- Very unsettled.
- Pain in the head.
- Difficulty in speaking
- Trouble while walking
- Frequent bouts of fits
Liver, kidney, and blood
- Your blood tests depict how your liver is working
- Your bladder stops functioning properly.
- Problems are due to bleeding. The signs consist of fatigue, bleeding nose, breathlessness, and lots of bruises. Your doctor may request you to undertake blood tests repeatedly.
Stomach and gut
- Vomiting and sickness
- Loose motions, pain in the stomach.
- Multiple vision.
- Eyes make an uncontrolled, repetitive motion.
- Difficulties in breathing, which consist of issues in respiration. The symptoms consist of irregular, noise and difficulties in breathing.
Skin and hair
Hair and skin
- Rashes in the skin, itching in the skin, and hives.
- Skin color changes.
- Loss of hair (hair grows at the backside).
- Issues in sex.
- Lack of sexual urge.
- Problems in erection among males.
Once you use Rivotril 2mg, which is a very common type of benzodiazepine, you have a chance of addiction. Stopping or reducing the dosage might lead to withdrawal symptoms.
- The symptoms consist of
- Sleeping issues.
- Pain in muscles, uneasiness, and body shaking
- Very worried, experiencing mood changes and other emotions such as confusion, anger, or getting irritated.
- Enhanced sweating.
- Pain in the head.
- The less common withdrawal symptoms consist of :
- Allergy to noise, light, and even contact with humans.
- Experiencing delusion.
- Your legs and hands feel motionless.
Patients who consume benzodiazepine medicines like Rivotril are prone to osteoporosis. The risk is even higher among senior citizens, who consume sedatives and alcohol.
Benefits of Rivotril 2mg Tablets
There are the following benefits of taking Rivotril-
- Treatment of Anxiety disorder-Rivotril tablet helps in restricting your brain to release the specific chemicals that make a human feel anxious. Thus, it can dramatically reduce the symptoms of undue anxiety and worry. It can lessen the feelings of restlessness, fatigue, lack of concentration, irritation, and insomnia issues that come along with anxiety disorder. It thus helps a person to perform his or her daily activities quite easily and stay productive all the time. It is recommended to continue this medicine even after feeling well and stopping it suddenly can lead to some serious health issues.
- Treatment of Epilepsy/Seizures-Rivotril Tablet helps in slowing down the electrical signals inside the brain that led to seizures (fits). It can help in lessening the symptoms such as confusion, uncontrollable jerking movements, unconsciousness, fear, and anxiety as well. The medicine can easily allow you to perform all the banned activities that you were scared to do earlier. It will take only a few weeks for this medicine to work as this dose has to be increased slowly and meanwhile you can still face seizures. Thus, you should continue this medicine even after feeling well till your doctor directs you to stop it. Discontinuation can result in a seizure.
Are There Alternatives Available for Purchase in the USA?
In the USA, there are quite a few alternatives such as Xanax, Lypin, and sustained-release melatonin