What is Diazepam Tablet?
Diazepam is a very famous medicine, which is being used all over the world for decades. The medication belongs to the benzodiazepine family and acts as an anxiolytic. Diazepam is used for treating short-term seizure disorders and anxiety. After it received a patent in 1959 from Hoffman La Roche, it has cemented its position as one of the top-selling medicines, throughout the globe, after being launched in 1963. This tablet had more than six million prescriptions in the year 2018, and seeing its popularity, Diazepam is placed on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines.
How does this medication work?
After seeing its spectacular results, you must be curious to know how this medicine works. The primary function of Diazepam, is to calm abnormal activity within the central nervous system. This medicine is used to treat anxiety as an anticonvulsant and used as a relaxant for muscles.
To explain it scientifically, Valium works since it can firmly integrate with the GABA- benzodiazepine receptor complex, which increases the affinity for GABA (which is nothing but a neurotransmitter that prevents impulses between nerve cells in the brain). If there are deficient levels of GABA in the body, it leads to pain, seizure disorders, anxiety, and mood disorders, respectively.
How to take Diazepam Pills?
You should never take this medicine without following proper instructions from your physician. The best way is by taking this medicine orally, which means mouth. You can take diazepam on an empty stomach, as told by the doctor. If you are using a liquid form of this medication, you must carefully measure the medicine dose using a special medical spoon and not a household spoon.
If you use the concentrated solution, you must opt for a medicine dropper and mix the dose with a small amount of soft food (pudding, applesauce). It would help if you immediately consumed the mixture and never store it for later use. The medicine dosage depends on your age, condition of your body, and treatment response. Never increase the dose of this medication without proper consultation.
Why use Diazepam 10mg?
Diazepam is a critical medicine, which has several uses given below.
- Treatment of panic attacks, anxiety, and agitation states.
- Treatment of alcohol symptoms, opiate, and benzodiazepine withdrawal.
- Treating neurovegetative symptoms, which are related to vertigo.
- Muscle spasms treatment.
- Treating insomnia.
- Treating stiff-person syndrome.
- Tetanus treatment, along with other measures of treatment.
- During hyperbaric oxygen therapy, there is the preventive treatment of toxic oxygen.
- Amnesia or anxiolysis, or pre or postoperative sedation.
Diazepam dosage and effects
The dosage of the medicine should be oral and as per the doctor’s instructions. You can consume this medicine without meals. If you improperly use this tablet, you can experience side effects such as
- Mood/mental changes (agitation, memory problems, confusion, hallucination, depression, restlessness).
- Speaking trouble, trouble in walking, weakness in muscles, urinating trouble, yellow skin/eyes, infection signs (sore throat).
- Dry mouth.
- Breathing trouble.