These are medications used by people who find difficulty having a sound sleep. It may be due to any underlying cause or medical conditions like sleeping disorders like insomnia or stressful conditions in life like divorce or the death of a loved one.
Other names for sleeping pills
- Sleep medicines
- Sleep aids
Mechanism of action
Different kinds of sleeping pills have different actions. Some pills act on GABA receptors to increase their function, while others inhibit the function of H1 receptors to increase the calming effect and promote sleep. OTC medications for sleep disorders work on adjusting the right hormones for sleep, such as melatonin.
Are sleeping pills effective?
Sleeping pills are effective if you take an adequate dose (from consulting your doctor) and do not use it on a long-term basis. If you take sleeping pills, you will fall asleep 8-20 minutes faster than the ones who don’t. But pills are not necessary for everyone. Do not use it if you have no reason to take it, do not use it.
Types of over-the-counter sleeping aids
There are three types of OTC sleeping aids. They are melatonin, antihistamines and valerian. Antihistamines are anti-allergic, but they also make you drowsy. Melatonin is a natural hormone that promotes sleep, and valerian is a herb that promotes sleep and relaxation.
Although they are OTC drugs, you should still consult your doctor for dose adjustment to prevent side effects.
Types of prescription sedatives
Prescription sleeping pills are much stronger than OTC drugs. They should be strictly taken under the prescription of a healthcare provider. Following are the prescription sleeping pills:
- Ambien and Lunesta (Z-drugs)
Side-effects of sleeping pills
Almost 8 out of 10 people experience side effects after using sleeping pills. To a minor extent, it is acceptable, but do not ignore these signs if they interrupt your daily life.
The following are the side effects of taking sleeping pills:
- Dry mouth
- Muscle weakness
- Gas, heartburn
Precautions Before taking sleeping pills
- Sleeping pills are habit-forming; you will depend on them if you use them longer than the prescribed limit.
- If you immediately stop taking sleeping pills, your insomnia may worsen. So contact your doctor so that you gradually decrease the medication dose.
- Do not mix sleeping aids with alcohol or other sleeping agents; enhanced effects can be life-threatening.
- Sleeping aids can be passed on to the baby if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, so consult your doctor about your condition before starting sleeping agents.
- No sleeping pills are safe for children. Not even OTC drugs. So, don’t give any sleeping aids on your own to children. There will be undesired effects on them. Consult your doctor if there are sleeping problems with your child.
- Strictly follow the prescribed dose to prevent yourself from serious side effects.
Serious side effects
These are serious conditions when you should immediately contact your healthcare provider. Signs are as follows:
- Memory issues or confusion
- Chronic fatigue
- Parasomnia issues
- Loss of consciousness
- Diarrhea or constipation
If you also suffer from sleep disorders like insomnia and are searching for an online medicine store to get convenient medicine delivery at your doorstep. Then, painmeds365 is the right place to buy online sleeping pills and have a good night’s sleep without any stress. But don’t forget to follow precautions and contact your doctor for dose adjustment.